Tuesday 24 June 2014

The Truth - A Prologue

Message sent on 23:12 17/04/2010
To: AMS@adnews.cc
From: [withheld]
Subject: I know who L. Carmen is.

I am K.W. a freelance journalist currently commissioned by The Beagle in Marsham. It was while driving to report on a story for the paper (the local unrest on Madistone hill) that I encountered the pictured radio tower. I assure you it is relevant.


The location of this tower remains with me and I shall not disclose it until I am heard and answers are given to me. There are many of its kind along the route, as there are many in the area, and so its location is not trivial.

Passing by the tower along an undisclosed motorway my mobile phone encountered some interference. At first I hadn't noticed anything particularly strange about this, being mostly static, but after a few seconds a clear signal comprised of beeps could be heard over the mess. Having already interrupted my call, my curiosity dictated that I pull into a nearby lay-by and listen in. I should point out that my phone has been heavily modified by a tech-savvy friend of mine (who shall remain unnamed) for undisclosed purposes, and so it is also highly unlikely that you should discover the signal yourself. I'd been assured that the modifications would eliminate all interference, so from what I understand the signal was technically being sent on an impossible frequency.

The beeping itself was curious and highly unlike any normal digital broadcast pattern I know of. I felt it was more like morse code than anything. Recording the signal to my dictaphone (which I still possess) and replaying it through the phone when back out of range, I sent this to my aforementioned friend who expressed great interest. Before long we were together traversing the fields of... Well, I'd best not say. Before long we encountered the source of the interference, the signal tower.

My friend assures me that this tower should, to all intents and purposes, be obsolete and without power, broadcasting and receiving nothing. Nevertheless the signal persists and, after some time, we could decipher it as being encoded by a method which, again, we shall not disclose. The signal itself has a range of approximately 50m, a radius in which nothing else is contained that could receive the signal except us.

The signal itself was slow and unsteady, but it was the information being sent that was of great interest to us. For some bizarre reason this message consisted entirely of unrelated facts strung together in a non-coherent fashion and of unknown origin. The subjects ranged from geography, technology, history, politics, television dramas, video games, incredibly obvious statements, tautologies through even to local gossip. The only connection seemed to be that each of the statements was being transmitted in reverse alphabetical order.

After some hours recording and decoding in the unseasonable weather the news of yourself and L.C. was transmitted over the signal, directly to us and only us. You may claim this information unsubstantiated, but once this catalyst was known to me enough significant evidence could be procured to make the fact inescapable. As further proof I disclose the following key words: channel, roses, perfume, bootstraps and forgery. Let this serve as evidence of both my honesty and ability to discover a great deal from the little information the tower provided.

I have written up the entire story and am ready to publish at The Beagle. This story could easily launch my career and collapse your own and I have little to no hesitation in allowing its release. Indeed The Beagle have offered me quite a sum for its disclosure, even with the extremely obscure details I have given them. Nothing incriminating, I promise.

However I give you this opportunity: If you give me a better offer than that of The Beagle, an explanation as to the background of L.C. and what, if anything, you know of this mysterious 'truth tower' I may reconsider my submission. Should you comply I will promise to yield from publishing and disclose to you the location and encryption of the tower and its signal, a tool I'm sure you and your papers will find very useful.

You have 22 hours to respond, after which I publish.

K.W.


------------------------


Message sent on 00:46 18/04/2010
To: AMS@adnews.cc
From: [withheld]
Subject: RE: My collection

Those sound like the stories of a desperate man. Give me one good reason to believe you.


------------------------


Message sent on 01:02 18/04/2010
To: AMS@adnews.cc
From: [withheld]
Subject: RE: Proof

When and where?


------------------------


Message sent on 11:02 18/04/2010
To: AMS@adnews.cc
From: K.Wry@toandfromail.cc
Subject: RE: Offer

Alexander Savage,

My rates are £15 per hour with fully paid travel.
I can start tomorrow.

Kirstie Wrycroft.

No comments:

Post a Comment